Information may be out of date due to COVID-19. Please call the phone number listed below to confirm details.
Military Ridge State Trail
The Military Ridge is a geological feature that stretches from south-central Wisconsin all the way to the Mississippi River. This 100-mile-long high ground is a natural transportation route. The original Native American foot trail became a wagon trail connecting pioneer forts; then a railroad route, a highway corridor, and now a rail bed trail. A trail ride lets you enjoy the timeless beauty of the hills and valleys that radiate from the ridge. The conical shape of Blue Mound is a beacon anywhere along the ridge. It rises 500 feet above the trail. Nearby is Cave of the Mounds, a popular attraction where you can take a guided tour into a world of underground pools and shimmering stalactites and stalagmites. A visit to Military Ridge is a real treat from top to bottom.
Choose Your List(s)
- Trail Length (miles)
- Surface Type
- Crushed Rock
- Cross-Country Skiing/Snowshoeing Trail Type
Travel Green Wisconsin Certified
Certified: (Req. 30 Points)
- Provide field guides and self-tour information to customers
- Office furniture is sent to UW Swap, which re-sells items to other state agencies and the public.
- Low-flow water fixtures are in place
- Use ENERGY STAR qualified windows; insulate pipes
- Compact fluorescent lighting is used throughout